Systems Engineer (Entry Level)
Fermata Energy is pioneering vehicle-to-grid (V2G) systems. Our technology uses the battery capacity in parked electric vehicles (EVs) to provide services that make the electric grid run more efficiently and save customers money on their electric bills.
We’re at an inflection point in history with electric utilities using more green energy (wind and solar) and vehicle manufacturers projecting the rapid transition of all internal combustion vehicle sales to all electric over the next decade. Utilities need grid scale energy storage to smooth out intermittent generation and manage peak load. Parked EV batteries are the energy storage asset best positioned to provide the massive amount of energy storage required. Fermata is the company with V2G sites up and running now, saving customers money now and working to scale up deployments as fast as possible.
We are looking for a systems engineer to help us integrate our software platform and/or hardware systems with 3rd party hardware, and manage our IoT device and charger commissioning and installation project life cycle. A key aspect of your job will be using your problem-solving skills to work independently and push tasks to completion. You will play a crucial role in ensuring that our charger and IoT systems are installed properly and meet our customers' needs and perform optimally. Our solution includes revenue-grade metering equipment for monitoring building loads, IoT communication devices, and EV chargers connected to our cloud platform on Amazon Cloud Services (AWS).
What you’ll do:
- Integrate our IoT devices with new meters, chargers, and vehicles
- Translate vendor communications specifications into Modbus/DNP3 protocol configuration
- Configure, validate, and manage charger OCPP connections
- Monitor and analyze the technical performance of IoT and charger systems after commissioning
- Configure, install, and maintain industrial cellular routers for enabling remote communications
- Manage and support device network architectures
- Configure and troubleshoot network devices for smart metering solutions
Need to Have Skills:
- Demonstrable electrical engineering knowledge, preferably power engineering/systems. Must be able to understand and coordinate with engineers using single line diagrams and other standard practices
- Knowledge of device communications protocols such as: Modbus, DNP3,, etc.
- Strong understanding of basic network architecture
- Proficiency with Linux, SSH, SFTP
- Proven ability to work in a team-oriented environment, providing support to team members, and establishing and maintaining effective work relationships with coworkers across functional areas
- Interest in Cleantech, Internet of Things (IoT), Smart Grid, renewable energy, and energy storage
Nice to Have Skills:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Electrical or Systems Engineering or other relevant engineering field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with OCPP 1.6j and 2.0
- Experience with cloud resource integration using AWS (or alternative cloud provider)
- Experience with REST and gRPC
- Experience with control systems, SCADA, instrumentation and systems integration
- Technical experience and general knowledge of the energy industry especially energy storage sectors
- Familiarity with configuration management tools like Ansible, Linux package managers
- Software and Network Security
- Experience developing firmware
- Experience programming in Scala or Python
- Experience with data protection laws and regulations, such as GDPR or CCPA
Fermata Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Fermata Energy strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy), gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
All employees hired are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination and associate booster vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.